Environmentally friendly practices
An ideal sustainable landscape would not require any maintenance at all. However, there are a number of reasons why the urban environment makes it difficult have a landscape with zero maintenance.
Taking that into consideration, maintenance work performed should continue the goal of sustainability and having the smallest environmental impact.
- Constructive pruning and not shearing hedges and plants
- Using integrated pest management
- Producing mulch and/or compost onsite from plant trimmings
- Reapplying mulch regularly for moisture and weed control
- Using only organic fertilizers
- Regularly checking irrigation systems for malfunctions and leaks
- Reapplying compost to support healthy soil
- Reducing or eliminating tools that use fossil fuels