Through wise design and maintenance techniques, the goals of saving money and saving the environment can be accomplished.
Properly placed trees are fantastic at saving energy costs as they provide the shade needed to keep houses cooler and air conditioners running more efficiently.
Energy conservation should be taken into account when choosing outdoor lighting and running maintenance equipment.
Little things all add up to determine if both a landscape and a home are conserving energy:
- Shade buildings to moderate temperatures
- Use shade to reduce the heat island effect - areas hotter due to human activity
- Shade air conditioners
- Design lighting carefully
- Choose and maintain equipment for fuel conservation
- Specify low embodied energy materials
Read more about Conserve Energy (PDF).